Unable to fdisk DOC2000

Sean Simmons ssimmons at rdinstruments.com
Sun May 13 16:17:40 EDT 2001

Hello,
   I'm using a stock 2.4.4 kernel with the MTD driver
compiled into the kernel.  I've managed to get the driver to
recognize the DOC so that it says:

M-Systems DiskOnChip driver. (C) 1999 Machine Vision Holdings, Inc.
DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xCE000
Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: 73 (Toshiba TH58V128DC)
1 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 16 Mb

The FTL driver, however gives:

ftl_cs: FTL header not found.

The NFTL driver then says:

M-Systems NAND Flash Translation Layer driver. (C) 1999 MVHI
$Id: nftl.c,v 1.57 2000/12/01 17:51:54 dwmw2 Exp $
Could not find valid boot record
Could not mount NFTL device

According to a post I saw earlier, this means the DOC is "hosed"
and needs to be formatted.  When I run nftl_format I get:

Erase size not 8 Kb - I'm confused

I removed the check for the erase size as someone else suggested
and nftl_format appeared to work okay going through Phase 1, 2a,
2b, and 3 with no errors.

However, when I try to fdisk /dev/nftla I get:

Unable to open /dev/nftla

When I cat /proc/mtd I get:

mtd0: 01000000 "DiskOnChip 2000"

which looks different than I expected.

Does anybody have any idea why fdisk won't work?

Thanks,

Sean Simmons
Lead Firmware Engineer                    9855 Businesspark Ave
RD Instruments                            San Diego, CA 92131
email:  ssimmons at rdinstruments.com        phone:  (858)693-1178
web:    http://www.rdinstruments.com      fax:    (858)695-1459