Using mtdblock as root device

Robert Kaiser rob at sysgo.de
Tue Mar 6 06:38:31 EST 2001

Hi,

I just tried to build a system that uses jffs on /dev/mtdblock0 as root fs.
This didn't work right away because the kernel did not honor the option
"root=/dev/mtdblock0" . This is because mtdblock devices are not listed
in the list of known root devices in the kernel (see "root_dev_names" in file
init/main.c). After applying the attached patch, using mtdblock as rootfs
worked nicely.

Now my question is: is there any particular reason (other than "nobody has
told Linus") why this is not already in the standard kernel ?

If there isn't, should I go ahead and submit my patch to Linus ?

Cheers

Rob

Robert Kaiser                         email: rkaiser at sysgo.de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Am Pfaffenstein 14                    phone: (49) 6136 9948-762
D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany   fax:   (49) 6136 9948-10