how to get MTD support - need expert input

Tim Hockin thockin at sun.com
Tue Jun 12 23:35:27 EDT 2001

Hello, All.

I am trying to get the general MTD layer in linux to support our systems'
flashroms.  The problem is that our system setup is a bit unique.

We have 1 or 2 chips (so far all have been JEDEC).  These may be of
intermixable sizes from 512K to 4MB.  They are mapped in the top 64k of
address space (x86 compatible).  To swap pages and banks, there is a custom
flash page register, which has a few bits that determine teh actively
mapped page.

So my question is this:

What is the best way for me get full support?  Apparently all the JEDEC
support in 2.4.5 is broken.

This is my thought:

have a map driver (like the other chipset map drivers) that builds it's own
struct mtd_info.  We can then flip pages at will, probe however we like,
etc.  I wish I could say that we will always have both flash chips
identical, but I can't.

feedback?

--
Tim Hockin