infradead.org vs kernel.org sources

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Jul 31 17:54:42 EDT 2001

Hello, a newbie here, and I thought I was making good progress
(debugging why I couldn't talk to our flash at all), and then I got
confused over sources.

I am working on an embedded PPC 405 controller.  We started with 2.4.2
sources from mvista.com, which seem quite close to kernel.org.  And
the main MTD web page <http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/> says "Very
occasionally, I make snapshot releases. Now that the MTD code is in
the 2.4 kernel, it's become even rarer. ", which I took to mean that
the kernel.org sources were up to date.

But now I had occasion to look at the stuff I grabbed from the
infradead cvs repository.  It looks rather different.

For example, mtd/drivers/mtd in the infradead sources seems to have
files I find in linux/drivers/mtd in kernel.org sources, but the
infradead sources are more elaborate and have sub-directories.

I guess my next move is to drop that infradead sub-tree into the
linux/drivers/mtd directory and see what happens.  (I think we need to
directly link, not be a loadable module, so the sources need to be
merged.)

Is this what I want?

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who hopes to get JFFS working on top of MTD.