LOCK and UNLOCK functions

Alice Hennessy ahennessy at mvista.com
Thu Jan 11 15:38:19 EST 2001

David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Alice Hennessy wrote:
>
> > 1. It doesn't appear to me that suspend affects the locking and
> > unlocking flowcharts - only program and erase.  Is this a correct
> > assumption?
>
> What do you mean? Suspend affects everything, because we're about to turn
> off the chip (the oldstate stuff is a thinko). If we're in the middle of
> telling the chip to lock/unlock then suspend has return failure till we're
> finished.

I was referring to the "Block Erase, Program Suspend" command in the STRATA
spec
and was wondering  if I need to add checking for  FL_LOCKING  in
do_read_onechip() as we do for
FL_ERASING.   Should have been more specific :)
BTW: what does "thinko" mean?

> > 2. The mtdchar.c ioctl call for MEMUNLOCK passes the start and len
> > addresses.  The unlock for the STRATA clears all the lock bits.  So I
> > intend to include logic to reinstate the locked bits that are outside
> > the desired range.  Sound reasonable?
>
> Hmmm. Better to design the API better so it can describe the capabilities
> of the chip. You don't have to stick to what I threw together - I'm full
> of crap half the time. Hadn't you realised that yet?

Then my choice would be to keep it simple and let userland keep track of
what lock bits it has set in the past.

Alice