Unable to mount compressed root f/s because init_mtd() does not r egister block device!

Vipin Malik vmalik at danielind.com
Fri Feb 23 13:02:55 EST 2001

David Woodhouse wrote:

> vmalik at danielind.com said:
> >  Are you saying that you'll not fix this "bug" for me ;) Would saying
> > please help :)
>
> Heh. Of course I'll help. Not sure how best to go about it, though. Init
> order dependencies are ugly. rd_load() should probably be one of the last
> things in the boot sequence, rather than an initcall. Can you add it to
> init/main.c just before mount_root()?

Ok, I did it in my kernel and that worked too, but that's not the permanent
solution is it?

> > > We'll have JFFS2 (with compression) ready to roll out quite soon :)
>
> > Well, there still would be reasons to decompress a root file system
> > into ramdisk and run from there, namely:
>
> Definitely. Just pushing my new baby, that's all :)
>
> >  3. Compressibility: I would hazard a guess that the compressibility
> > obtained with compressing an entire file system image would be better
> > than that obtained with just compressing individual inode data.
>
> Yep. Actually we only compress a single page at a time
> in jffs2, not even the whole inode.

Do you have any figures as to how well it compresses vs say gzip -9?

Do you know why nobody added bzip2 support for compressed root file systems?
bzip2
does a better job at compression. Size of the code?

Vipin