AMD Flash flaming

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 15 04:34:08 EST 2001

dbyron at coactive.com said:
> I just subscribed to the list a few days ago and caught some
> discussion on annoying characteristics of some AMD flash devices.
> Turns out we're in the middle of selecting a flash device for a new
> platform and one of the choices being considered is the AMD
> Am29LV033C.  Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but is this one of
> the annoying/busted chips?

They're not busted, just annoying. I happen to think the designers were on
crack, but the chips are still usable, even though their CFI tables are
crap. Even if we have to hard-code a table of chip ID vs. erase block
layout, they're usable - unless they've really gone mad and shipped chips
with the _same_ JEDEC ID but different layouts.

--
dwmw2