Map driver usage

Robert Kaiser rob at sysgo.de
Tue Dec 18 12:44:00 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, David Woodhouse wrote:

> rob at sysgo.de said:
> >  OK, so if I implement the copy_from call to break the large transfer
> > into smaller ones if necessary, then I should be safe ?
>
> Depending on the flash chips you're using, maybe. Sometimes you need to
> access the chip with the correct address.

That doesn't sound very reassuring ....

I definitely want the driver to go into the MTD CVS when it's done,
so I guess you wouldn't accept it if I did it this way, right ?

> >  Yep. Only my problem here is, that I want some physically
> > non-contiguous blocks to form a single MTD partition. Is that possible
> > with the MTD partition API ?
>
> The MTD partitioning code is (currently) just a set of wrappers round the
> real MTD functions, which add an offset and call the real chip driver's
> methods. It's fairly simple to do your own such wrapper rather than using
> the ones in mtdpart.c.

OK, I'll look into that. It will probably mean to duplicate a bit of
stuff from mtdpart.c into my mapping driver, but I guess that's OK
since then I won't need to enable MTD partitioning support at all.
I'll also check Aleksander Sanochkin's code as Jörn suggested, maybe
I can keep my stuff compatible with it.

Thanks

Rob

Robert Kaiser                          email: rkaiser at sysgo.de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Am Pfaffenstein 14
D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany    fax:   (49) 6136 9948-10