DOC 2000 driver (NFTL) in kernel 2.4.7

Alexandru Harsanyi a.harsanyi at willhart-tech.com
Wed Aug 8 00:30:37 EDT 2001

Hi,

I updated to the lastest CVS, and moved the driver code into the 2.4.7
kernel source.

At boot I get the following messages (debug verbosity was set to 3):

M-Systems DiskOnChip driver. (C) 1999 Machine Vision Holdings, Inc.
DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xC8000
Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: 6B (Toshiba TC5832DC)
3 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 12 MiB
mtd: Giving out device 0 to DiskOnChip 2000
NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.77 $, nftlmount.c $Revision: 1.20 $
NFTL_notify_add for DiskOnChip 2000
mtd->read = c0181a20, size = 12582912, erasesize = 8192
NFTL_setup
_DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
ANAND header found at 0xc000 in mtd0, but ECC read failed (err 1)
_DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
ANAND header found at 0xe000 in mtd0, but ECC read failed (err 1)
Could not find valid boot record
Could not mount NFTL device

----------

It seems to me that there's an ECC error when reading the DOC. With the
M-Systems provided driver, the chip works fine, so I suspect there's a
problem at the ECC computation. That would explain why, when formating
the chip with the linux-mtd tools it works (as Saul Thurrowgood
<saul at cvs.anu.edu.au> reported)

It would be interesting to test whether a chip formated with linux-mtd
tools works with the M-System provided driver.

My DOC was formated using M-Systems tools and the partitions on it are
MS-DOS. For non-technical reasons I cannot reformat the chip.

Best Regards,
Alex.