JFFS2 as root FS

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Apr 23 21:56:21 EDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:04:16PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> That is true. Nobody's yet written the code to notice hard links in the
> source directory and put appropriate hard links in the created JFFS2
> filesystem.

Can you (or someone) comment on whether or not JFFS2 satisfies
the necessary criteria for a POSIX-compliant file system?  I
could not (quickly) find a reference to what qualifies as a POSIX
file system, otherwise I would have checked myself.

> Note that once you realise you only need to keep a cache of (dev,inode)
> tuples for inodes with i_nlink > 1, rather than every inode you touch, and
> that you only need to look into that cache when you're writing out such an
> inode, it becomes a much more feasible task.

That actually seems to be more complicated than checking every
inode.  That is, if you consider if(n_links>1) more complicated.
Also, you need to check the device to make sure its not the
same inode number on a different device.  But I digress and
become nitpicky.

dave...