Elan SC520 - problem with MTD

Vipin Malik vipin.malik at daniel.com
Mon Apr 23 19:07:32 EDT 2001

Wow! Where (and why ;) were your hiding this gem for so long?!!!

This is the answer to a lot of maiden's prayers! Robert, are you the "rob" in the
CVS Id in the files?

Vipin

P.S. I saw a couple of mails ago that some folks mentioned that I have successfully

booted the linux kernel directly out of flash and installed the JFFS(2) as the root
fs
(and a ext2 fs as a compressed fs in ramdisk). That is all true.

Expect boot the kernel directly out of flash part, everything else is fully
documented
(some may say "painfully fully" documented) in my HOWTO in the CVS.

I have supplied, on request, the files to boot the kernel out of flash.  The
original source
of the hacked kernel boot code to do this was AMD (and it's open source of course).

Please let me know if you want those. HOWEVER! The solution is not a very elegant
one.
It involves making changes to some startup files (bootset.S and setup.S) in the
Linux
startup code itself.

Furthermore it only works with the 2.2.x series and with zImage (not bzImage).
Hence i've not
put it into CVS.

I think, if I understood the capabilities of the linked ftp files below properly,
this could be the
very elegant solution that we all were looking for. I'll investigate this a bit
further.