Boot EBSA285 using root filesystem stored in flash

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Mon Nov 27 21:16:37 EST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Louis Hamilton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for information on moving our root filesystem (currently NFS
> mounted
> on a Linux host box) to flash memory on our EBSA285 (sa110) development
> card.

You need the dc21285 on top of all the other MTD modules.

> We would like to eliminate the step where the kernel uses NFS to mount the
> filesystem and instead boot the target using a filesystem stored in flash.

You may use the mtdblock interface and tell the kernel to mount its root
filesystem from it.  Any filesystems can be used.  However for a read-write
filesystem you should consider JFFS in priority.

> Do you know of any write-ups, urls, etc. to help achieve this goal?

Nope.

> I expect the MTD subsystem would (or could) be an important piece to
> solving the puzzle.

All pieces are already there.  You just need to know how to assemble them.

Nicolas