block device for 2.0

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Thu Nov 16 09:36:08 EST 2000

I have now got all important modules running to
support ROM, CFI and RAM with uClinux. I have
used an old version of mtdblk.c (1.14) for block
access, for several reasons:
*The current driver uses kernel_thread. I don't know
  if/how that could be used in 2.0
* Caching is used. In uClinux, where RAM is valuable,
  RAM with the size of one erase sector would be wasted.
  With flashes that have 64KB or 128KB erase sectors,
  thats a lot of wasted memory.
* When the block driver is used as replacement for
  the blkmem.c ROM driver, caching isn't of any use at all.
  I think that will be the main (or the only?) purpose
  of the blockdriver in uClinux.

I thought it might be best to have the choice between the
old, uncached block block driver (for uClinux) or the new driver
as a configuration option. Are there any better ideas?

Regards,

Erwin