Preliminary documentation.

Alexander Larsson alex at cendio.se
Tue Mar 28 09:11:08 EST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I've now put written up the documentation I wrote out by hand last night.
> It's at http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/
>
> Comments, please. I haven't yet filled in my suggested restrictions on the
> read/write functions, but I have removed the retlen arguments.
>
> As I said, I'm changing the notifier stuff to make it cleaner. I have yet to
> actually change the code to fit in with my new documentation.

A suggested API for fully memory-mapped devices:

 void lock(struct mtd_info *mtd);
 void unlock(struct mtd_info *mtd);
 u_char *mapped; /* may be NULL if not memory mapped device */

(The "mapped" name could be better...)

Then just remove the point/unpoint calls.

> Also, a couple of questions on the decisions I've made:
>
> 1. Is mtd->sync() enough, or could users want more access to the erase queue?
>
> 	We could add
> 		struct erase_info *mtd->eraseq;
> 		spin_lock_t	mtd->eraseq_lock;
> 	... and allow users to use that.

Nah, i don't think many people would use that. And it would limit the
driver implementation a bit.

> 2. Is the callback in the erase_info OK or would we be better off having a
> wait_queue_head_t instead (or as well)?

I think the callback is enough, if people need a wait queue they could
make one themself from the callback.

Another thing. The void *priv field in the struct mtd isn't neccesary. As
the structure is allocated by the driver the driver could allocate a
larger structure (with a struct mtd as first field) and completely hide
internal data.

Why is there a size field in struct erase_info if it must always be the
size of the mtd erase block size?

Is struct erase_info.mtd filled in by driver or user?

I like the driverpriv proposal.

/ Alex