Request: examples of using LILO or GRUB to boot from DOC

Karl Pitrich pit at linuxaustria.at
Wed Jul 26 16:18:00 EDT 2000

Christian Lademann wrote:

> I am trying hard to get a 4Mb DoC to boot something else but MS-DOS.
> Could somebody please mail me her/his lilo-
> or grub-configuration?
> Is there currently a working way to boot Linux from a DOC using free
> software, anyhow?

lilo works, use the patched one from the mtd package.
for a stable system it is recomended to use the DoC driver provided by
m-system, i guess.

Installation goes like this:

- mount the DoC to /mnt/doc.
- put a kernel with according driver in /mnt/doc/boot/, name it kernel;
- copy the boot.b from the mtd package to /mnt/doc/boot/
- change the rootdevice of the kernel with 'rdev /dev/fla1
/mnt/doc/boot/kernel'

- Generate /root/lilo-doc.conf similar to the following:

	boot=/dev/fla
	vga = normal
	read-only
	prompt
	timeout=50
	image = /mnt/doc/boot/kernel
	root = /dev/fla1
	label = linux

- install lilo with
	lilo-mtd -C /root/lilo-doc.conf -I /mnt/doc/boot/boot.b -m
/mnt/doc/boot/map

-reboot

Note:
dunno about a small DoC, but on a 16mb you will need a extra boot
partition with ie. 1MB,
because otherwise lilo will see too much cylinders (>1024) and therefore
can't be installed.
if you do this, surely change /dev/fla1 to /dev/fla2, because /dev/fla1
just holds the kernel.

--
Best regards, Karl Pitrich. icq #81091001

pitrich information technologies
linuxsoftwareinternetworkcommunication!
hauptstraße 16-18 | 4040 linz | austria
voice: +43 70 718884 | support: 0900 970 710 (.at only)
--
 Microsoft is prohibited from distributing this work in any form, in
 whole or in part, across any medium. Licenses for distribution are