DOC2000 and Kernel 2.3 ??

Stuart Lynne sl at whiskey.fireplug.net
Tue Apr 11 23:42:11 EDT 2000

In article <f1c7fssr0pi4tvjhv4g10trhkqq28j0i6r at 4ax.com>,
Udi Finkelstein <udif at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this list (and to DiskOnChip 2000 in general).
>
>I have an embedded linux system running with a 2.0.x based kernel and =
>m-sys's
>drivers.
>
>I want to build a new 2.3 kernel based system with the following =
>structure:
>
>* /boot partition with a 2.3 Kernel containing
>  a ramdisk based root file system (initrd).
>* RAM disk contains a skeleton filesystem with
>  99% of the files pointing to a CRAMFS (the
>  2.3.x compressed ROM filesystem) based partition
>  in the doc2000.
>* Data is stored on a 3rd partition (e2fs ??).
>
>Advantages:
>1. All fixed data is compressed (kernel is compressed by nature, initrd
>compressed by gzip, CRAMFS compressed by design).
>2. RAM based root filesystem allows modifying anything in the system =
>without
>writing to the doc2000, preventing any corruption. Rebooting the system
>returns it to a clean state.
>3. Separate data partition is separate from the rest of the system and =
>can be
>easily reformatted without affecting system.
>
>Now the big Question: What is the best (any) way to get a doc2000 working=
> with
>the 2.3 kernel?
>
>I see 3 possible options:
>
>1. Hacking the original m-sys 2.2.x driver to work under 2.3.x. Is this
>possible? How much of the binary only portion depends on the 2.2.x kernel=
> API?
>Can it be adapted to 2.3.x by changing only the skeleton code around it?

Very little if any. You should be able to just modify the fldrvlnx.c file
appropriately and have it work.

I'm not to sure what CRAMFS is going to do for you. It's not too hard
to have a minimal system entirely on the RAM disk.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl at fireplug.net>                __O
<http://www.thinlinux.org>                  _-\<,_               604-461-7532