Flash drivers and filesystem (fwd)

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at deltatee.com
Tue Jul 6 12:58:15 EDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

> jgg at deltatee.com said:
> >  What is this applied against? This looks remarkably like it would fit
> > nicely with the more general chagnes I made...
>
> Against Alex's original patch, I believe.

Hm, I don't have that code, just the original MTD stuff that was posted on
lwn some weeks back.

> > Everyone rewriting the flash chip code for every new device is getting
> > old :>
>
> Indeed. I'm working on recombining them all into one - was yours based upon
> mine, or were they both based on something I can't find any more (I honestly
> can't remember)?

Well, mine is the most different of all of them and has a bit of a strange
history. I started with the MTD (which was originally derived from the
PCMICA code) stuff I mentioned above and wrote a complete working driver
for that then I talked to my friend Gergely who had written a from scratch
block driver for his flash board, I also needed a block driver so I took
his stuff and my stuff and re-arranged the two, then I wrote another
driver for another board here and we end up with my version. The entire
thing is from scratch and ended up pretty clean, I c+p'd ideas from
everywhere to get it going though.

Jason