Wifi 6E 6ghz not working on MediaTek MT7922 (AMD RZ616)

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Dec 25 12:03:56 PST 2022

Hi!

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 08:19:15PM +0530, Vishal Rao wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS based distro elementary OS 7 with the latest
> available Ubuntu mainline kernel 6.1 RC5 build the wifi does not
> connect to the 6GHZ band (Wifi 6E) and it only even shows the 6ghz
> SSID name *after* I have connected to the 5ghz wifi band.
>
> This is on a new ASUS ZenBook laptop model UM5302TA with the AMD Ryzen
> 6800U CPU platform which includes the AMD-Mediatek co-developed RZ616
> wifi chip I believe.
>
> Pastebin of lspci -vvnn output: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/QwM58ZkptG
>
> Let me know what further information I should provide - happy to do so!

Please also share the output of `iw list` which will tell if we are
dealing with a driver problem or a regulatory/configuration problem.
Did you configure the wireless regulatory domain the device is located
in?

To have access to 6 GHz bands the regulatory region needs to be known,
I read that on Ubuntu it works like this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/701709/how-can-i-change-my-wireless-cards-regulatory-domain-dbm-higher-than-30