[GIT PULL] arm64: dts: mediatek: changes for v5.13 (second round)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Apr 7 18:55:17 BST 2021

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM Matthias Brugger <matthias.bgg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2021 18:06, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Matthias Brugger <matthias.bgg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Olof and Arnd,
> >>
> >> Here comes the second round of arm64 DT patches. Hope I'm not too late.
> >> Basically we add several node to MT8167.
> >> Fabien Parent (6):
> >
> >>       arm64: dts: mediatek: mt8167: add some DRM nodes
> >
> > I stumbled over this patch adding a lot of aliases:
> >
> > +       aliases {
> > +               aal0 = &aal;
> > +               ccorr0 = &ccorr;
> > +               color0 = &color;
> > +               dither0 = &dither;
> > +               dsi0 = &dsi;
> > +               ovl0 = &ovl0;
> > +               pwm0 = &disp_pwm;
> > +               rdma0 = &rdma0;
> > +               rdma1 = &rdma1;
> > +               wdma0 = &wdma;
> > +       };
> >

> > Something doesn't quite feel right about this, and I checked with Rob,
> > who also thinks this looks wrong. I suppose we need to have a set of
> > well documented alias types rather than just having drivers make up
> > new ones on the spot.
>
> These are needed in the DRM driver, see drivers/gpu/drm/mediatek/mtk_drm_ddp_comp.c
>
> I added Chun-Kuang who is the maintainer of the driver. I think it's a good idea
> to have this alias described in the binding. Maybe a good excuse to move to yaml
> as well :)

The aliases certainly need to be described in the binding, I think someone
would likely have complained earlier if that was part of the binding.

Moving it to yaml is also a good idea, and required for any new devices.

> > I also noticed that some of the referenced nodes are missing a DT
> > binding file, so those need to be added and reviewed as well.
>
> I suppose you are talking about "mediatek,mt8173-vcodec-enc-vp8". The binding
> patches are in the media tree [1]. Maybe I supposed wrongly that they will land
> in v5.13? Or perhaps I should have mentioned that in the pull request.
>
> If it wasn't about this compatible and you can still remember, please let me
> know so that we can fix that :)
>
> I double checked and didn't find any missing binding. Some of them only have the
> fallback binding described, maybe that's what you are referring to.

Here is what I see for all compatible strings of the added device nodes in
this patch, as of linux-next-20210407:

$ for i in mediatek,mt8167-disp-mutex mediatek,mt8167-disp-rdma
mediatek,mt2701-disp-rdma mediatek,mt8167-disp-pwm
mediatek,mt8173-disp-pwn mediatek,mt8167-dsi mediatek,mt2701-dsi
mediatek,mt8167-mipi-tx mediatek,mt2701-mipi-tx
mediatek,mt8167-disp-ovl mediatek,mt8173-disp-ovl
mediatek,mt8167-disp-rdma mediatek,mt2701-disp-rdma
mediatek,mt8167-disp-color mediatek,mt8173-disp-color
mediatek,mt8167-disp-ccorr mediatek,mt8183-disp-ccorr
mediatek,mt8167-disp-aal mediatek,mt8167-disp-gamma
mediatek,mt8173-disp-gamma mediatek,mt8167-disp-dither
mediatek,mt8167-disp-wdma ; do echo === $i ;  git grep -wl $i
Documentation/devicetree/ ; done

=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-mutex
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-rdma
=== mediatek,mt2701-disp-rdma
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-pwm
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-mtk-disp.txt
=== mediatek,mt8173-disp-pwn
=== mediatek,mt8167-dsi
=== mediatek,mt2701-dsi
=== mediatek,mt8167-mipi-tx
=== mediatek,mt2701-mipi-tx
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/phy/mediatek,dsi-phy.yaml
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-ovl
=== mediatek,mt8173-disp-ovl
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/mediatek/mediatek,disp.txt
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-rdma
=== mediatek,mt2701-disp-rdma
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-color
=== mediatek,mt8173-disp-color
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/mediatek/mediatek,disp.txt
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-ccorr
=== mediatek,mt8183-disp-ccorr
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-aal
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-gamma
=== mediatek,mt8173-disp-gamma
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/mediatek/mediatek,disp.txt
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-dither
=== mediatek,mt8167-disp-wdma

So five of the strings are documented, the others are missing. I did not check
the other patches in your branch.

         Arnd