FC 8/9 IDE problems on Ampro LX800 board...

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Mon May 19 04:49:13 EDT 2008

Hello,

> This ETX board has the Geode LX800 w/ CS5536 chipset.
>
> Perusing the boot messages while installing, I find that libata is using
> pata_amd to configure the IDE and is reporting that ata2 (secondary
> channel) is disabled! I cannot access either compact flash drive.

What is the kernel message exactly? Does it say "ata2: Disabled by BIOS",
or what is the exact message line from kernel log? That would help locate
the exact check in the code that makes it disabled

>       * Should it be using pata_cs5536?
>       * Any clues to diagnosing this problem? Does libata parse any
>         kernel arguments that I can set to find out more?

Among other things it checks if the channel has been enabled by
firmware/BIOS, by reading the appropriate MSR register. If that is not set
up for the given ata channel, it will not use it.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp