Get machine type in user-space

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Thu Jun 20 15:04:00 EDT 2013

Hi

> If the kernel supports more than one "machine type", the the one that
> are specified by the bootloader will be choosen.
> If the kernel only supports one "machine type" that will *always* be choosen.
I wouldn't work with machine type ids anymore, but rather would use
the device tree scripts... It's much easier to update a DTB and you
don't have to build custom kernels anymore for your hardware.

> Question:
> Is it possible from user-space to find out the "machine type" that was
> passed from the bootloader?
> I know that in /proc/cpuinfo it is possible to see that "name" of the
> choosen "machine type", but not if it was the correct one.
You will have to export a sysfs node in your board file which
exposes the revision information of your board if you have the need
for such data.

-David