MACHINE ID

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 17:40:36 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 01:16:48PM -0800, hong zhang wrote:
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x000007d9).
>
> Available machine support:
>
> ID (hex)	NAME
> 00000af0	ti8168evm
>
> Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
>
> I feel the U-boot does not put 0xaf0 to r1 instead 0x7d9. Actually both
> of them are listed in arch/arm/tools/mach-types. Why does not kernel
> match with 0x7d9?

7d9 is 2009:

sapphira                MACH_SAPPHIRA           SAPPHIRA                2009

which is a 'sapphira' platform, not a ti8168evm.  Whoever programmed
your boot loader stole some other platforms ID.

I suggest you check whether your version of u-boot supports changing
the ID via a script.  I don't know u-boot that well, so I can't tell
you how.