Please help, I want kprobe.multi support on arm64, but regs is replaced by args

Masami Hiramatsu (Google) mhiramat at kernel.org
Tue Jun 27 10:06:06 PDT 2023

Hi Jackie,

That is actiall what I'm working on now :)

Here is my previous implementation (but not applicable because now we need to
remove kretprobe trampoline with it.)
https://lore.kernel.org/all/164735287344.1084943.9787335632585653418.stgit@devnote2/

Let me explain my idea. I would like to replace the kretprobe with fprobe
exit handler so that we can intgrate the function return hook with fgraph tracer.
Currently fprobe entry/exit handler uses pt_regs, but I will replace it with
ftrace_regs. And this means rethook has to work with ftrace_regs and it can not
support kretprobes anymore on some arch (HAVE_RETHOOK but
 !HAVE_DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS).

There are many good reasons, like;

- On some arch (e.g. arm64) can not emulate full pt_regs.
- Saving full register on function entry/exit is not efficient.
- Enabling both fgraph tracer and rethook are redundant.

This requires some changes on kprobe users like BPF and SystemTap, so I need to
talk with them about

- Moving onto the fprobe to trace function entry/exit.
- Using ftrace_regs API to access function argument and return value.

Anyway, I'll add CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS dependency to them until
in-kernel stuffs are ready. It ensures ftrace_regs can be converted to
pt_regs.

I also introduced fprobe events, so I will send a series of patches how to do
that (fprobe entry side has been done, working on rethook side).

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu (Google) <mhiramat at kernel.org>