? FAIL (91/181 SKIPPED): Test report for for-kernelci (6.2.0-rc5, arm-next, 2e84eedb)

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Thu Jan 26 06:53:19 PST 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 12:52:03PM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> [+Mark and Ard in case they have ideas]
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 09:21:19AM -0000, cki-project at redhat.com wrote:
> > Hi, we tested your kernel and here are the results:
> >
> >     Overall result: FAILED
> >              Merge: OK
> >            Compile: OK
> >               Test: FAILED
> >

> > Kernel information:
> >     Commit message: Merge branch 'for-next/core' into for-kernelci
> >
> > You can find all the details about the test run at
> >     https://datawarehouse.cki-project.org/kcidb/checkouts/66828
> >
> > One or more kernel tests failed:
> >     Unrecognized or new issues:
> >          aarch64 - kdump - kexec_boot
> >                    Logs: https://datawarehouse.cki-project.org/kcidb/tests/6799495
>
> This looks like we run into an undefined instruction when we jump to the
> kexec relocation code. Do you know if the failure is reproducible, and is
> the log identical each time?
>
> I'm struggling a bit for ideas at the moment, given that we're not taking
> a translation fault so the page-table isn't _completely_ mad.

Clearly it's gone well enough to cause an UNDEFINED exception rather than an
abort, but it's worth noting that we *do* take a fault within the handler,
since:

| [12214.505526] Code: bad PC value

... means that aarch64_insn_read() faulted within dump_kernel_instr().

So I'd suspect we've done something UNPREDICTABLE here, or we're missing some
barriers and/or synchronization.

The log indicates this is a QEMU KVM RM on a ThunderX2 host, so I'll see if I
can reproduce this locally...

Thanks,
Mark.