[ARM64] status of MTE selftests?

Cornelia Huck cohuck at redhat.com
Mon May 9 02:59:59 PDT 2022

On Fri, May 06 2022, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 04:50:41PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
>
>> I'm currently trying to run the MTE selftests on the FVP simulator (Base
>> Model)[1], mainly to verify things are sane on the host before wiring up
>> the KVM support in QEMU. However, I'm seeing some failures (the non-mte
>> tests seemed all fine):
>
>> Are the MTE tests supposed to work on the FVP model? Something broken in
>> my config? Anything I can debug?
>
> I would expect them to work, they seemed happy when I was doing
> the async mode support IIRC and a quick spin with -next in qemu
> everything seems fine, I'm travelling so don't have the
> environment for models to hand right now.

Thanks; I think that points to some setup/config problem on my side,
then :/ (I ran the selftests under QEMU's tcg emulation, and while it
looks better, I still get timeouts for check_gcr_el1_cswitch and
check_user_mem.)

>> [1] Command line:
>> "$MODEL" \
>> -C cache_state_modelled=0 \
>> -C bp.refcounter.non_arch_start_at_default=1 \
>> -C bp.secure_memory=false \
>> -C cluster0.has_arm_v8-1=1 \
>> -C cluster0.has_arm_v8-2=1 \
>> -C cluster0.has_arm_v8-3=1 \
>> -C cluster0.has_arm_v8-4=1 \
>> -C cluster0.has_arm_v8-5=1 \
>> -C cluster0.has_amu=1 \
>> -C cluster0.NUM_CORES=4 \
>> -C cluster0.memory_tagging_support_level=2 \
>> -a "cluster0.*=$AXF" \
>
>> where $AXF contains a kernel at v5.18-rc5-16-g107c948d1d3e[2] and an
>> initrd built by mbuto[3] from that level with a slightly tweaked "kselftests"
>> profile (adding /dev/shm).
>
> What are you using for EL3 with the model?  Both TF-A and
> boot-wrapper are in regular use, TF-A gets *way* more testing
> than boot-wrapper which is mostly used by individual developers.

I'm building the .axf via boot-wrapper-aarch64 (enabling psci and gicv3,
if that matters.) Didn't try to make use of TF-A yet beyond the dtb (I'm
still in the process of getting familiar with the arm64 world, so I'm
currently starting out with the setups that others had shared with me.)