❌ FAIL: Test report for kernel?5.11.0-rc7 (arm-next)

Will Deacon will at kernel.org
Wed Feb 10 11:09:37 EST 2021

Hi Veronika,

Thanks for the help with this.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:24:31AM -0500, Veronika Kabatova wrote:

> > > Which system (e.g. soc) is host 2 and are there are known infra issues at
> > > the moment? I did push some changes which affect the early boot path, so we
> > > may well be running into a kernel bug, but I'd just like to make sure
> > > before
> > > we dive in trying to debug that, especially as we haven't seen failures on
> > > other systems (and host 1 seems ok).
> > >

> > Hi, the machine in question is a Cavium ThunderX2 Sabre. It booted a stable
> > kernel just a few days back okay. The last messages I can see in the raw
> > console log from this run are:
> >
> > EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
> > EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, KASLR will be disabled
> > EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
> > EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...
> >
> > and then it times out after hour and half. I'm not aware of any ongoing
> > issues, however sometimes the link between the lab controller and the
> > machines can sometimes go wrong after reboot and lead to a similarly
> > looking problem.
> >
> > I'll resubmit the test job on that same machine to check if that was
> > the case and let you know right after it boots.
> >

> Hi, I have a few results back:
>
> - resubmitted the same kernel: gets stuck in the same spot
> - tried the new version pushed today: gets stuck in the same spot

That's odd, as I just received a pass report for that branch!

https://lore.kernel.org/r/cki.598435E2D5.M3C5MKJ1NV@redhat.com

Is it just flakey, perhaps? Obviously, that's not great either, but it will
make bisection more challenging.

> - tried the version from last week: boots ok
>
> There is an extra message from the run that managed to boot, which is not
> present with any of the runs that failed:
>
> EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: efi_loaded_image_t::image_base has bogus value
>
> But this message is not present with the stable run that I mentioned
> previously.

Interesting. Are those messages in the logs anywhere? It would be handy to
include them, if possible.

Cheers,

Will