RCU lockup issues when CONFIG_SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=n - any one else seeing this?

Jonathan Cameron Jonathan.Cameron at huawei.com
Wed Jul 26 07:23:15 PDT 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 07:14:17 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 01:28:01PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:32:32 +0100
> > Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron at huawei.com> wrote:

> > > By which I mean CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC=y
>
> I did get that messed up, didn't I?  Sorry for my confusion!
>
> > > Anyhow, run for 40 minutes with out seeing a splat but my sanity check
> > > on the NO_FULL_HZ=n and NO_HZ_IDLE=y this morning took 20 minutes so
> > > I won't have much confidence until we are a few hours in on this.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, certainly looking like a promising direction for investigation!
> > >
> > Well it's done over 3 hours without a splat so I think it is fine with
> > CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC=y
>
> Thank you!
>
> If you run with SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=n and NO_HZ_IDLE=y, but have a normal
> user task waking up every few seconds on each CPU, does the problem occur?
> (The question is whether any disturbance gets things going, or whether there
> is something special about SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=y and HZ_PERIODIC=y.
>
> Dave, any other ideas on what might be causing this or what might be
> tested?
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Although it's still early days (40 mins in) it looks like the issue first
occurred between 4.10-rc7 and 4.11-rc1 (don't ask why those particular RCs)

Bad as with current kernel on 4.11-rc1 and good on 4.10-rc7.

Could be something different was hiding it in 4.10 though.  We have a fair
delta from mainline back then unfortunately so bisecting will be
'interesting'.

I'll see if I can get the test you suggest running.

Jonathan