RCU lockup issues when CONFIG_SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=n - any one else seeing this?

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 26 07:14:17 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 01:28:01PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:32:32 +0100
> Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron at huawei.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:16:23 +0100
> > Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron at huawei.com> wrote:

> > > I'll be the headless chicken running around and trying as many tests
> > > as I can fit in.  Typical time to see the failure for us is sub 10
> > > minutes so we'll see how far we get.
> > >
> > > Make me a list to run if you like ;)
> > >
> > > NO_HZ_PERIODIC=y running now.
> > By which I mean CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC=y

I did get that messed up, didn't I?  Sorry for my confusion!

> > Anyhow, run for 40 minutes with out seeing a splat but my sanity check
> > on the NO_FULL_HZ=n and NO_HZ_IDLE=y this morning took 20 minutes so
> > I won't have much confidence until we are a few hours in on this.
> >
> > Anyhow, certainly looking like a promising direction for investigation!
> >
> Well it's done over 3 hours without a splat so I think it is fine with
> CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC=y

Thank you!

If you run with SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=n and NO_HZ_IDLE=y, but have a normal
user task waking up every few seconds on each CPU, does the problem occur?
(The question is whether any disturbance gets things going, or whether there
is something special about SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=y and HZ_PERIODIC=y.

Dave, any other ideas on what might be causing this or what might be
tested?

							Thanx, Paul