[QUESTION] Early Write Acknowledge for PCIe configuration space

Lorenzo Pieralisi lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com
Thu Feb 9 06:38:05 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 11:42:18AM +0000, Gabriele Paoloni wrote:

[...]

> > > The ARMv8 ARM also says that the E attribute is a hint, so there's no
> > > guarantee that it's actually honoured by the implementation. However,
> > > now that it explicitly mentions PCI config space, the intention is
> > clearly
> > > that nE *is* honoured for systems using PCIe, so I agree that we
> > should make
> > > this change. I don't want to use the nE type for all ioremap
> > invocations,
> > > though.
> >
> > I suspect this is a potential issue on ARM 32-bit systems too(?).
> > Fixing
> > IO space should be reasonably simple, we just have to change the
> > pgprot_device() in pci_remap_iospace() to pgprot_noncached() (they are
> > the same attributes on ARM 32-bit already if I am not mistaken).
>
> Agreed on this. Actually I noticed that pci_remap_iospace() is __weak
> but no other definitions are present...

Yes I will remove it.

> > What do we want to do for config space ? Implement ioremap_uc() for
> > ARM/ARM64 (and add a devm_ioremap_uc() call to use it in basically all
> > drivers/pci/host implementations to map config space - or we just patch
> > the ioremap calls in drivers/pci/ecam.c and we assume the other hosts
> > controllers have purportedly called devm_ioremap() because on those
> > platforms it just works ok till further notice ?)
>
> Well if my understanding is correct we are 100% positive that this issue
> affects controllers mounted on ARM and ARM64, right?
> If this is correct I would look at drivers/pci/host/Kconfig and see which
> controllers depend on ARM or ARM64; for these controllers I would replace
> devm_ioremap() with devm_ioremap_uc().
> Obviously I would also replace the calls in drivers/pci/ecam.c...
>
> What do you think?

I share Will's concern on the _uc API, I will probably add a
pci_remap_cfgspace() API that would fall back to ioremap_nocache()
by default (ie if the arch does not override it).

Adding a devm_ioremap_* version seems overkill to me.

I will send a patch series, we will take it from there.

Cheers,
Lorenzo