[GIT PULL 1/2] Broadcom dts changes for 4.11 (part 2)

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 12:59:12 PST 2017

On 02/07/2017 06:49 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:06:07 PM CET Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Please note that because of the "clk" topic branch merged by Eric, we end-up with
>> pulling in v4.10-rc2 which is responsible for the funny diff here.
>
> It's generally better to avoid those back-merges entirely, that is not
> the only problem with them. Our DT branch is already based on -rc3,
> so it's not a back-merged for me, and I think that's ok when I send
> it upstream.
>
> However, I see that you do pull in these changes:
>
> Eric Anholt (5):
>       clk: bcm2835: Don't rate change PLLs on behalf of DSI PLL dividers.
>       clk: bcm2835: Register the DSI0/DSI1 pixel clocks.
>       clk: bcm2835: Add leaf clock measurement support, disabled by default
>
> I'd rather not have those in next/dt at all, and at the very least
> we require an explanation in the changelog about why you are sending
> them to arm-soc. I assume that they are present in the clk-next
> tree and won't get rebased, but that's not clear from your pull
> request.

OK, the explanation is provided in the merge commit, but I suppose I
should have added this again to the pull request changelog.

> Are you doing an incompatible DT binding change that requires changing
> the dts files and the driver together? If so, that also needs to be
> in the changelog (or avoided if at all possible).

Eric, do you mind commenting on that part?

> If you send the other changes again today, I'll pull them right away,
> and then we can talk about what we do for the clk-bcm2835 changes.

OK, let me try to sync up with Eric on this and see if we can come up
with something better. A pull request based on v4.10-rc3 would be
acceptable, right?
--
Florian