Synopsys Ethernet QoS Driver

Joao Pinto Joao.Pinto at synopsys.com
Wed Nov 23 03:10:44 PST 2016

Hi Peppe and Lars,

On 23-11-2016 10:59, Giuseppe CAVALLARO wrote:
> Hello Joao, Lars.
>
> On 11/22/2016 3:16 PM, Joao Pinto wrote:
>>> Ok, it makes sense.

>> Regarding this subject, I am thinking of making the following adaption:
>>
>> a) delete ethernet/synopsys
>> b) rename ethernet/stmicro/stmmac to ethernet/synopsys
>>
>> and send you a patch for you to evaluate. Both agree with the approach?
>> To have a new work base would be important, because I will add to the "new"
>> structure some missing QoS features like Multichannel support, CBS and later TSN.
>
> IMO, we have to agree on a common strategy making the change for
> net-next; I imaged the following steps:

Yes it makes totally sense.

> - to port missing feature or fixes from ethernet/synopsys
>   inside the stmmac taking care about the documentation too.

@Lars: You are familiar with the synopsys qos driver. Could you please do this
porting. You can also make an analysis of what to port and I can do the porting
for you if you don't have the availability for it.

> - remove ethernet/synopsys
> - rename ethernet/stmicro/stmmac to ethernet/synopsys

I volunteer to do this task.

>   These latest two have some relevant impacts.
>
>   This change should be propagated to all the platforms that are using:
>       CONFIG_SYNOPSYS_DWC_ETH_QOS and CONFIG_STMMAC_ETH
>   plus device-tree compatibility.

I volunteer to do this task also.

> - enhance the stmmac with new features and new glue (part of these
>   can be anticipated for sure).

I have to implement 3 new features for now, but I will take some time for it, so
I would suggest to make the previous task and incrementally add features.

> what do you think? does it make sense? If yes, we can also
> understand how/who starts.
>
> Regards,
> Peppe

Thanks and regards.