Synopsys Ethernet QoS Driver

Giuseppe CAVALLARO peppe.cavallaro at st.com
Wed Nov 23 02:59:57 PST 2016

Hello Joao, Lars.

On 11/22/2016 3:16 PM, Joao Pinto wrote:
>> Ok, it makes sense.
>> > Just for curiosity the target setup is the following:
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-LB5y2Cos
>> > but instead of using internal drivers, we desire to use mainline drivers only.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
> Regarding this subject, I am thinking of making the following adaption:
>
> a) delete ethernet/synopsys
> b) rename ethernet/stmicro/stmmac to ethernet/synopsys
>
> and send you a patch for you to evaluate. Both agree with the approach?
> To have a new work base would be important, because I will add to the "new"
> structure some missing QoS features like Multichannel support, CBS and later TSN.

IMO, we have to agree on a common strategy making the change for
net-next; I imaged the following steps:

- to port missing feature or fixes from ethernet/synopsys
   inside the stmmac taking care about the documentation too.
- remove ethernet/synopsys
- rename ethernet/stmicro/stmmac to ethernet/synopsys

   These latest two have some relevant impacts.

   This change should be propagated to all the platforms that are using:
       CONFIG_SYNOPSYS_DWC_ETH_QOS and CONFIG_STMMAC_ETH
   plus device-tree compatibility.

- enhance the stmmac with new features and new glue (part of these
   can be anticipated for sure).

what do you think? does it make sense? If yes, we can also
understand how/who starts.

Regards,
Peppe