Can not play audio with screen off

Nishanth Menon nm at ti.com
Mon May 16 07:22:46 PDT 2016

On 05/15/2016 02:31 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm playing some more with N900, this time I'd like to use it as a
> alarm clock...
>
> And now I realized I can not, because system performance is so
> horrible with screen off that mpg123 + pulseaudio skips horribly. This
> is without tweaking serial parameters, so CPU is definitely not going
> into the idle/off modes.

> Hmm. And it seems to work better if I ssh in and launch mpg123
> remotely. Weird.
>
> Kernel 4.5-rc0. Will try on different ones.
>
> Any ideas? Is there interface to tell kernel that better performance
> is needed for a while?

pm_qos cpu_dma_latency? Drivers will have to be properly instrumented
with appropriate latency values -> this will control the depth in C
states that the system will attempt. NOTE: it is a dual edged sword,
bad configurations can result in none of the C-states being entered.

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon