Suspicious error for CMA stress test

Joonsoo Kim iamjoonsoo.kim at lge.com
Tue Mar 22 21:42:46 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 03:56:46PM +0100, Lucas Stach wrote:
> Am Montag, den 21.03.2016, 13:42 +0900 schrieb Joonsoo Kim:
> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 02:32:35PM +0100, Lucas Stach wrote:
> > > Hi Vlastimil, Joonsoo,

> > > After digging into the "PFN busy" race in CMA (see [1]), I believe we
> > > should just prevent any buddy merging in isolated ranges. This fixes the
> > > race I'm seeing without the need to hold the zone lock for extend
> > > periods of time.
> >
> > "PFNs busy" can be caused by other type of race, too. I guess that
> > other cases happens more than buddy merging. Do you have any test case for
> > your problem?
> >
> I don't have any specific test case, but the etnaviv driver manages to
> hit this race quite often. That's because we allocate/free a large
> number of relatively small buffer from CMA, where allocation and free
> regularly happen on different CPUs.
>
> So while we also have cases where the "PFN busy" is triggered by other
> factors, like pages locked for get_user_pages(), this race is the number
> one source of CMA retries in my workload.
>
> > If it is indeed a problem, you can avoid it with simple retry
> > MAX_ORDER times on alloc_contig_range(). This is a rather dirty but
> > the reason I suggest it is that there are other type of race in
> > __alloc_contig_range() and retry could help them, too. For example,
> > if some of pages in the requested range isn't attached to the LRU yet
> > or detached from the LRU but not freed to buddy,
> > test_pages_isolated() can be failed.
>
> While a retry makes sense (if at all just to avoid a CMA allocation
> failure under CMA pressure), I would like to avoid the associated
> overhead for the common path where CMA is just racing with itself. The
> retry should only be needed in situations where we don't have any means
> to control the race, like a concurrent GUP.

Make sense. When I tried to fix merging issue previously, I worried
about side-effect of unmerged buddy so I tried to reduce unmerged
buddy as much as possible. But, your problem can be solved by
implementation that makes unmerged buddy in isolated pageblock and
it is a real problem. I think that now we can bear uncertain side-effect
of unmerged buddy for solving real problem. Please make a patch
and send to the list.

Thanks.