Suspicious error for CMA stress test

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Tue Mar 22 07:56:46 PDT 2016

Am Montag, den 21.03.2016, 13:42 +0900 schrieb Joonsoo Kim:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 02:32:35PM +0100, Lucas Stach wrote:
> > Hi Vlastimil, Joonsoo,

> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > After digging into the "PFN busy" race in CMA (see [1]), I believe we
> > should just prevent any buddy merging in isolated ranges. This fixes the
> > race I'm seeing without the need to hold the zone lock for extend
> > periods of time.
>
> "PFNs busy" can be caused by other type of race, too. I guess that
> other cases happens more than buddy merging. Do you have any test case for
> your problem?

I don't have any specific test case, but the etnaviv driver manages to
hit this race quite often. That's because we allocate/free a large
number of relatively small buffer from CMA, where allocation and free
regularly happen on different CPUs.

So while we also have cases where the "PFN busy" is triggered by other
factors, like pages locked for get_user_pages(), this race is the number
one source of CMA retries in my workload.

> If it is indeed a problem, you can avoid it with simple retry
> MAX_ORDER times on alloc_contig_range(). This is a rather dirty but
> the reason I suggest it is that there are other type of race in
> __alloc_contig_range() and retry could help them, too. For example,
> if some of pages in the requested range isn't attached to the LRU yet
> or detached from the LRU but not freed to buddy,
> test_pages_isolated() can be failed.

While a retry makes sense (if at all just to avoid a CMA allocation
failure under CMA pressure), I would like to avoid the associated
overhead for the common path where CMA is just racing with itself. The
retry should only be needed in situations where we don't have any means
to control the race, like a concurrent GUP.

Regards,
Lucas