configuration for nc pins without pull

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Mar 22 07:40:05 PDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for a machine I want to configure a pin that is actually not connected
> to minimize floating. (I think this is sensible, isn't it?)

Definitely.  It's a design error to leave a pin floating, especially
if they're MOS inputs (which most are).  The reason is that many
MOS inputs are a pair of MOS transistors - one from +V to their output
(into the device) the other between their output and ground.

If the input floats, then both transistors are partially turned on,
which gives a wasteful flow of current between +V and ground - hence
this increases the current draw and dissipation of the device - and
is a total waste of energy.

Generally, when designing MOS circuitry using standard gates, it is
very much a design error to leave any unused gate inputs unconnected
for this very reason - not only that, but the input is also sensitive
to static electricity.  A floating input has a very high input
resistance, and a static discharge into it can destroy those input
transistors I've mentioned above - turning *both* hard on, which
gives you a dead short between +V and ground.

That can result in the device effectively being fried, even if the
fried input is not being used (because it drags the supply down.)

Floating inputs are *always* bad.

(Just make sure that the designer hasn't already thought of this and
tied the inputs high or low, possibly through a resistor.  Even so,
I'd say that it's good practice if the chip has biasing to bias them
accordingly, so that should there be a bad joint on the board, it
doesn't allow the pin to start floating.  Bad joints happen, and
sometimes show after a few months of otherwise good operation...)

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.