[RFC] arm64:change jump_label to use branch instruction, not use NOP instr

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Fri Jul 31 03:14:32 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:33:55AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 05:25:02PM +0800, yalin wang wrote:
> > >
> > > This doesn't parse.. What?
> > >
> > > Also, this conflicts with the jump label patches I've got.
> >
> > this is arch depend , you can see aarch64_insn_patch_text( ) for more info,
> > if aarch64_insn_hotpatch_safe() is true, will patch the text directly.
>
> So I patched all arches, including aargh64.
>
> > what is your git branch base? i make the patch based on linux-next branch,
> > maybe a little delay than yours , could you share your branch git address?
> > i can make a new based on yours .
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/peterz/queue.git/log/?h=locking/jump_label
>
> Don't actually use that branch for anything permanent, this is throw-away
> git stuff.
>
> But you're replacing a NOP with an unconditional branch to the next
> instruction? I suppose I'll leave that to Will and co.. I just had
> trouble understanding your Changelog -- also I was very much not awake
> yet.

Optimising the (hopefully rare) patching operation but having a potential
impact on the runtime code (assumedly a hotpath) seems completely backwards
to me.

Yalin, do you have a reason for this change or did you just notice that
paragraph in the architecture and decide to apply it here?

Even then, I think there are technical issues with the proposal, since
we could get spurious execution of the old code without explicit
synchronisation (see the kick_all_cpus_sync() call in
aarch64_insn_patch_text).

Will