[GIT PULL] Renesas ARM Based SoC Marzen Board Removal for v4.3

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Wed Jul 29 17:21:36 PDT 2015

Hi Olof,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 05:41:47PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> >
> > Please consider these Renesas ARM based SoC marzen board removal for v4.3.
> >
> > This series removes legacy r8a7779 SoC and marzen board code.
> > It does so in a way that does not introduce feature regressions
> > when when booting the r8a7779/marzen board using shmobile_defconfig,
> > which provides for booting using multiplatform, a scenario which previously
> > used board code to provide some features including SMP.
> >
> > Because of the above this series modifies SoC and DT files,
> > and then removes code. And because of that it was not entirely clear to
> > me which branch it should go into, so I have provided it in a stand-alone
> > branch.
> >
> > Unfortunately this branch has a number of minor conflicts with the "Renesas
> > ARM Based SoC Cleanup for v4.3", tagged as renesas-cleanup-for-v4.3, which
> > you have previously pulled.
> >
> > A resolution to those conflicts can be found in the
> > renesas-next-20150724-v4.2-rc1 tag of the renesas tree.
> >
> > I would be happy to rebase these patches on top of renesas-cleanup-for-v4.3
> > and resubmit a conflict-free pull request if you like.
> >
> > On a more positive note, I believe this to well over 8000 lines of legacy
> > code removed in this cycle :)
>
> Organization is OK since the additions were small. If there were more
> additions needed, doing the enablement one release and removing the
> legacy code the release after would make more sense. But here that's fine.
>
> The only thing I'd like to see different is to please send the defconfig
> updates separately. They just take out no-longer-existent entries anyway, so
> the series should do fine without them here.
>
> So, please respin without the defconfig updates and provide them
> separately, if you want to avoid bisectability problems just do them
> next release.

Understood.

I am fine with breaking out the following, most likely deferring them to
the next release as I am concerned about bisectability:

* ARM: multi_v7_defconfig: Remove Marzen
* ARM: shmobile: Remove Marzen from shmobile_defconfig

There is another defconfig change, which I will resubmit in the
defconfig branch for this release.

* ARM: shmobile: Enable fixed voltage regulator in shmobile_defconfig

Without the above a number of devices do not function.