[linux-sunxi] [RFC] ARM: dts: sunxi: Add regulators and board-specific operating points for LeMaker BananaPi

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 28 05:49:11 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 02:43:20PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 27-07-15 14:09, public_timo.s at silentcreek.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Hans de Goede schrieb am 27.07.2015 10:07:
> >
> >>I've a simular patch here:
> >>
> >>https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commit/6a30b7d5be6012b81e5e1439a444e41c0ac1afc1
> >>
> >>I did not submit this upstream yet as it is part of a series to enable the otg
> >>controller on the bananapi which needs axp-usb-power-supply support for which
> >>the actual powersupply driver changes are still pending.
> >
> >Oops, I see. Are you planning to submit this for 4.3 or later?
>
> I plan to submit this for 4.3.

I don't feel like holding patches that were posted before you did
because you did them some time ago and never submitted them is
reasonnable and / or encouraging for new submitters of patches.

I'd really like to get more sunxi-people contributing, and that starts
with that kind of trivial stuff. Holding them back because one of the
usual (and experienced) developpers is a bit counter-productive (and
I'm sure you still have a lot of patches to submit anyway ;)).

> >>As you can see other then you adding the cpu operating points are patches are
> >>identical, which is good :)
> >Yep, that and you chose a slightly higher maximum voltage for the CPU.
> >
> >>IMHO we should just stick with the standard operating points unless we know
> >>that there are stability issues with them (such as e.g. on the A10 OlinuxIno
> >>Lime).
> >I'd be fine with that as I don't have any stability issues with the lower
> >voltages. What about the 1008MHz operating point that I "reintroduced"? It was
> >dropped here [1]  because there was no regulator support.
>
> That is in essence an overclocked setting, the max CPU voltage officially is
> 1.4V, I do not think that we should provide any overclocked settings in the
> official dts files. If people really want to overclock they will have to
> modify there dts themselves IMHO.

I fully agree.

> > Can this be reenabled on board level (which means overriding the
> >defaults inherited from sun7i-a20.dtsi) or should this be done at
> >SOC level for all boards (which means we have to add regulator
> >nodes for all boards in the first place)?
>
> Technically this is possible, but I do not think that it is a good idea.

And here as well.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons