kexec crash kernel boot failure on arm64

Pratyush Anand panand at redhat.com
Sun Jul 26 22:18:35 PDT 2015

On 24/07/2015:10:29:34 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 03:07:24AM +0100, Anurup m wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > There is a problem observed with crash kernel boot in kdump on arm64.
>
> With which kernel? Mainline doesn't have kexec or kdump support for
> arm64.
>
> > On arm64 hardware board, when I enable the purgatory segment, the crash kernel doesnot boot.
> > When checked with trace32, it is observed that the control comes to purgatory_start routine,
> > but the instructions are seen as UNDEF and the boot hangs. But when I took the memory dump, the
> > contents were seen as proper(matching with the purgatory_start code).
> >
> > I did some experiments to analyze this issue. Tried changing the Load order of kexec segments and
> > observed results as below

As Mark asked, its important to know, which kernel and which
kexec-tools you are using. I guess, you would be using either Geoff's
[1] master branch or Akashi's [2] kdump/v0.12 branch for kexec-tools.
Can you try to increase your crashkernel(=xM) size and use mem=
parameter appropriately for the primary kernel commandline and see if
it improves.

~Pratyush

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/kexec-tools.git
[2] https://git.linaro.org/people/takahiro.akashi/kexec-tools.git