next-20150722 build: 2 failures 75 warnings (next-20150722)

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:54:41 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Joachim  Eastwood <manabian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 July 2015 at 20:43, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:30:56PM +0100, Build bot for Mark Brown wrote:
>>
>> Today's linux-next fails to build an ARM allmodconfig due to:
>>
>>> ERROR: "of_default_bus_match_table" [drivers/memory/pl172.ko] undefined!
>>
>> 17c50b700c3b4 (memory: add ARM PL172 MultiPort Memory Controller
>> driver).  The symbol of_default_bus_match_table isn't exported by the OF
>> core code so can't be referenced from modules.
>
> Sorry about that. Seems like I didn't do a modular build after I
> started to use "of_default_bus_match_table".
> A quick fix would be to just replace "of_default_bus_match_table" with
> NULL, but that means that child nodes that use "simple-bus" wouldn't
> work. Since I don't have any nodes with "simple-bus" I'll send this
> fix ASAP to Olof.

I think generally there is no reason to use NULL and most users can
safely pass of_default_bus_match_table. It would only matter if you
had children matching simple-*, but that should not be the case
typically.

> Grant/Rob: Would you be okay with a patch that exports
> "of_default_bus_match_table"?
> I think it would be useful for memory controllers to allow child nodes
> that use "simple-bus" and "simple-mfd".
>
> Note that "of_default_bus_match_table" is also used by
> memory/omap-gpmc.c, but this drivers can only be built-in so it
> doesn't face this problem.
> memory/ti-aemif.c and memory/mvebu-devbus.c doesn't use
> "of_default_bus_match_table", but again that means they can't have
> child nodes with "simple-bus".

I would prefer to see a wrapper function exported that internally
passes of_default_bus_match_table rather than exporting it. And then
clean-up all the callers including the ones passing NULL. Or if we
need to keep the NULL variant, perhaps 2 variants clearly named for
what they do: of_populate_children and of_populate_buses.

Rob