[RFC v2 0/6] IRQ bypass manager and irqfd consumer

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 10:17:48 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-06 at 14:11 +0200, Eric Auger wrote:
> This series introduces and extends the IRQ bypass manager written
> by Alex and transforms irqfd into an IRQ bypass manager consumer.
> The producer part, in my case the VFIO platform driver will be introduced
> separately. That code should be usable by both ARM IRQ forwarding
> and Intel Posted Interrupts.
>
> The IRQ bypass manager enables to setup a negotiated link between an
> IRQ producer and an IRQ consumer (typically the VFIO driver and KVM irqfd).
>
> The series currently includes Alex's code which was sent my email.
> Its structure obvioulsy will adapt to Alex's will.
>
> Also the irq bypass manager gets compiled/linked on arm/arm64 along
> with KVM and VFIO platform driver.
>
> can be found at:
> https://git.linaro.org/people/eric.auger/linux.git/shortlog/refs/heads/v4.2-rc1-bypass-fwd-v2

Thanks for taking this from a skeleton to a functional implementation,
Eric!  I'm happy with the way this is progressing.  Once we're confident
Feng can use your extensions, I'd be happy to merge those back into the
irq bypass manager and propose it upstream.

Hosting the bypass manager in kernel/irq seemed appropriate, but really
it could be anywhere.  Does anyone have a different preference or
specifically want it under their scope?  We had originally thought of
this as an IOMMU service, but I think we've generalized it beyond that.
I expect we should also add the necessary hooks to turn it into a
loadable module to keep the tinification folks happy, I'll incorporate
the current working changes and post a version with that.  Thanks,

Alex