[Linaro-acpi] Touching the initrd before paging_init

Leif Lindholm leif.lindholm at linaro.org
Sun Dec 13 08:59:42 PST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 03:47:12AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> I mentioned before that we'll want to see ACPI_INITRD_TABLE_OVERRIDE
> support on arm64 in due course for use during bringup of new systems. It
> is commonly used on x86 to provide handy updated ACPI tables via a
> prepended initrd cpio that is attached to the regular initrd image,
> which is infinitely better than respinning firmware each time you want
> to provide updated tables (yes yes, we all know the "devicetree"
> directive in GRUB does this with DT and that's great and wonderful). I
> know that someone is working on it, but I had a need for an interim
> solution over the weekend for some hardware I am bringing up here.

Why would we do this through an initrd?
That sounds an awful lot like the per-kernel-image dtbs that are the whole
thing we're trying to avoid.

Implementing this as a grub command (or kernel command line) for debug
purposes would be trivial - and I'm pretty sure Graeme/Al already did
this in the past.

/
    Leif