[RFC v02 00/15] dmaengine: New 'universal' API for requesting channel

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Dec 1 12:17:06 PST 2015

On Tuesday 01 December 2015 22:29:54 Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 03:45:30PM +0200, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > channel via DT, ACPI or in case if the kernel booted in non DT/ACPI mode
> > it will use a filter lookup table and retrieves the needed information from
> > the dma_filter_map provided by the DMA drivers.
>
> That sounds right, for the third case would the arch, driver or someone else
> configure this?

The typical case is for the configuration to be defined in arch or platform
code and passed down to the dmaengine driver.

I just noticed that the text above (and probably the code too) should
be changed so we always fall back to this. There are cases where the
platform is booted with DT in principle, but the DMA engine does not
(yet) use DT and still wants to be converted. I think we can easily
handle that case by always trying this if the other methods fail.

> > This legacy mode needs changes in platform code, in dmaengine drivers and
> > finally the dmaengine user drivers can be converted:
>
> Are you marking the current APIs as dericated in the end of this series

I think we practically stopped marking things as deprecated in general.
Per Linus decree, whenever we want to get rid of something, we should
instead change all users in tree and then remove the API, expecting
driver maintainers to do something just because you marked it as deprecated
often doesn't work.

I can help out converting a few platforms, maybe one interface at a time.
This is what I see:

arnd at wuerfel:~/arm-soc$ for i in dma_request_slave_channel_reason dma_request_slave_channel dma_request_slave_channel_compat dma_request_channel  ; do echo `git grep -wl $i drivers/  | grep -v drivers/dma | wc -l`\      $i ; done
14      dma_request_slave_channel_reason
27      dma_request_slave_channel
25      dma_request_slave_channel_compat
34      dma_request_channel

I would probably leave the users of dma_request_channel() while converting
the others, as that is still used by all the platforms that don't use any DT
support.

Changing dma_request_slave_channel_reason and dma_request_slave_channel is
trivial, we can probably use coccinelle for that, as it does not require
any platform changes. That brings us to the users of
dma_request_slave_channel_compat, which currently includes these files:

$ git grep -wl dma_request_slave_channel_compat drivers/ata/pata_pxa.c
drivers/crypto/atmel-aes.c
drivers/crypto/atmel-sha.c
drivers/crypto/atmel-tdes.c
drivers/crypto/omap-aes.c
drivers/crypto/omap-des.c
drivers/crypto/omap-sham.c
drivers/media/platform/omap3isp/isphist.c
drivers/mmc/host/davinci_mmc.c
drivers/mmc/host/omap.c
drivers/mmc/host/omap_hsmmc.c
drivers/mmc/host/pxamci.c
drivers/mmc/host/s3cmci.c
drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc_dma.c
drivers/mtd/nand/pxa3xx_nand.c
drivers/net/ethernet/smsc/smc91x.c
drivers/net/irda/pxaficp_ir.c
drivers/spi/spi-omap2-mcspi.c
drivers/spi/spi-pxa2xx-dma.c
drivers/spi/spi-rspi.c
drivers/spi/spi-s3c64xx.c
drivers/spi/spi-sh-msiof.c
drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_dma.c
drivers/tty/serial/samsung.c
drivers/tty/serial/sh-sci.c
include/linux/dmaengine.h

In other words: arch/avr32 and arch/sh along with omap1, omap2, davinci, pxa, and s3c
in terms of ARM platforms.

	Arnd