[RFC v02 00/15] dmaengine: New 'universal' API for requesting channel

Vinod Koul vinod.koul at intel.com
Tue Dec 1 08:59:54 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 03:45:30PM +0200, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Changes since RFC v01:
> - dma_request_chan(); lost the mask parameter
> - The new API does not rely on RESOURCE_DMA, instead the dma_filter_map table
>   will be used to provide the needed information to the filter function in
>   legacy mode
> - Extended the example patches to convert most of daVinci to use the new API to
>   request the DMA channels.

Hi Peter,

Thanks a bunch for fixing this up!

I think overall I am happy with the proposal and aligning with 2 APIs really
_helps_.

> TODO: Documentation update ;)
>

> As it has been discussed in the following thread:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2181487#2181487
>
> Andy: I did looked at the unified device properties, but I decided to not to use
> it as I don't see it to fit well and most of the legacy board files are using
> resources to specify at least their memory regions so adding the DMA resource
> to them would be more inline with the rest of the code.

I think that is okay for now, we can align on that eventually. I think this
doesn't impact the API design though..

> The ARM, mmc and spi patches are converting daVinci drivers board files to use
> the new method of requesting DMA channel.
>
> With this series I have taken a path which would result two new API, which can
> be used to convert most of the current users already and with some work all
> users might be able to move to this set.
> With this set the filter_fn used for legacy (non DT/ACPI) channel request is no
> longer needed to be exported to client drivers since the selection of the
> correct filter_fn will be done in the core.
>
> So, the first proposal is to have:
>
> struct dma_chan *dma_request_chan(struct device *dev, const char *name);
> struct dma_chan *dma_request_chan_by_mask(const dma_cap_mask_t *mask);
>
> The dma_request_chan_by_mask() is to request any channel matching with the
> requested capabilities, can be used to request channel for memcpy, memset, xor,
> etc where no hardware synchronization is needed.
>
> The dma_request_chan() is to request a slave channel. The dma_request_chan() will try to find the
> channel via DT, ACPI or in case if the kernel booted in non DT/ACPI mode
> it will use a filter lookup table and retrieves the needed information from
> the dma_filter_map provided by the DMA drivers.

That sounds right, for the third case would the arch, driver or someone else
configure this?

> This legacy mode needs changes in platform code, in dmaengine drivers and
> finally the dmaengine user drivers can be converted:

Are you marking the current APIs as dericated in the end of this series

--
~Vinod