"ARM: multi_v7_defconfig: Enable shmobile platforms" breaks Tegra20 multi_v7_defconfig boot

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Apr 1 14:21:33 PDT 2015

On 04/01/2015 01:17 PM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> On 04/01/2015 12:55 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> (Dropping people likely not interested in Tegra U-Boot from explicit Cc)

>>> Sounds reasonable, I'll try to get to this at some point soon.
>>>
>>> BTW, it might be worth changing U-boot CONFIG_LOADADDR to point to the
>>> value you define for kernel_addr_r.  That would reinforce to folks who
>>> aren't using the U-boot scripts that they should use that address for
>>
>> Hmm. Our values for CONFIG_LOADADDR and CONFIG_SYS_LOADADDR in U-Boot
>> seem to be a mess.
>>
>> Essentially they are used for the same semantic purpose, it's just
>> that different U-Boot features use one or the other. I propose we make
>> them the same value. There are certainly many other boards that do
>> (and many that don't, strangely).
>
> That sounds fine to me.  I got totally confused trying to figure out the
> difference between CONFIG_LOADADDR and CONFIG_SYS_LOAD_ADDR.
>

>> I'm not sure that pointing those at the same location as kernel_addr_r
>> is best. I'd expect modern scripts to explicitly use one of the
>> type-specific (kernel, DT, script, initrd, ...) variables and never
>> rely on simple $loadaddr. How about we point these variables somewhere
>> that doesn't overlap with any of the memory regions
>> "reserved"/intended for a specific purpose?
>>
>> In other words, I'd suggest 0x90200000 as the value for Tegra30+;
>> that's consistent with the default values of $scriptaddr and
>> $pxefile_addr_r, i.e. 1MB beyond the latter, and well out of the way
>> from anything else.
>>
>> Does all that sound reasonable? If so, I'll send a patch for U-Boot.
>
> I always used to treat CONFIG_LOADADDR as the "recommended" load address
> for the kernel, as did my colleagues.  But that was years ago in the
> days of uImages and things have changed a lot since then.  So to be
> perfectly honest, I don't know what the right path forward is.  I'd hate
> to add more work to your plate, but maybe we should ask on the U-boot
> mailing lists to see what folks there would recommend?  If you're busy
> I'd be happy to send the initial query, just let me know.
>
> Otherwise, I think you probably know U-boot better than I, so ultimately
> I'm fine with your discretion.

Thinking about this more, there's a case where setting CONFIG_LOADADDR
to 0x90200000 won't work (raw zImage loaded at that address, with
AUTO_ZRELADDR in use, booted using U-Boot's bootz command which IIRC
never relocates the zImage). I would not expect scripts to mix "old"
variables such as $loadaddr with "new" variables such as $kernel_addr_r,
so sharing the same location for them should work out fine. I'll just do
that.