"ARM: multi_v7_defconfig: Enable shmobile platforms" breaks Tegra20 multi_v7_defconfig boot

Paul Walmsley pwalmsley at nvidia.com
Wed Apr 1 12:17:48 PDT 2015

On 04/01/2015 12:55 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> (Dropping people likely not interested in Tegra U-Boot from explicit Cc)
>
> On 04/01/2015 11:48 AM, Paul Walmsley wrote:

>>> I've reproduced the original problem, and then validated that using
>>> the addresses from U-Boot's default environment (at least with a ToT
>>> U-Boot that I just built) does indeed solve it.
>>>
>>> I'd like to re-iterate that the test bed should be using the values
>>> from U-Boot's environment rather than making up its own. That way:
>>>
>>> * The value the test bed uses for the kernel load address likely
>>> overlaps where the kernel decompressor writes to for even slightly
>>> large kernels. This means the decompressor must move itself before
>>> decompressing. IIUC, there's zero guarantee that moving the
>>> decompressor won't overwrite the DTB, since IIUC the decompressor uses
>>> zero knowledge of the DTB location. In other words, if the compressed
>>> kernel is loaded somewhere that's likely to require it to move itself,
>>> there's a real risk of the exact same problem cropping up again in the
>>> future if the kernel happens to overwrite the DTB during relocation.
>>>
>>> * The values are part of every Tegra U-Boot port (and hopefully for
>>> other SoCs too given any distro using boot.scr with
>>> config_distro_bootcmd.h will expect the variables to exist), so for
>>> future (Tegra) chips you won't have to adjust the test bed if RAM
>>> layout changes.
>>>
>>> * Those values get testing, so we'll find out if the ever don't work.
>>> We get more test coverage.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable, I'll try to get to this at some point soon.
>>
>> BTW, it might be worth changing U-boot CONFIG_LOADADDR to point to the
>> value you define for kernel_addr_r.  That would reinforce to folks who
>> aren't using the U-boot scripts that they should use that address for
>
> Hmm. Our values for CONFIG_LOADADDR and CONFIG_SYS_LOADADDR in U-Boot
> seem to be a mess.
>
> Essentially they are used for the same semantic purpose, it's just
> that different U-Boot features use one or the other. I propose we make
> them the same value. There are certainly many other boards that do
> (and many that don't, strangely).

That sounds fine to me.  I got totally confused trying to figure out the
difference between CONFIG_LOADADDR and CONFIG_SYS_LOAD_ADDR.

> I'm not sure that pointing those at the same location as kernel_addr_r
> is best. I'd expect modern scripts to explicitly use one of the
> type-specific (kernel, DT, script, initrd, ...) variables and never
> rely on simple $loadaddr. How about we point these variables somewhere
> that doesn't overlap with any of the memory regions
> "reserved"/intended for a specific purpose?
>
> In other words, I'd suggest 0x90200000 as the value for Tegra30+;
> that's consistent with the default values of $scriptaddr and
> $pxefile_addr_r, i.e. 1MB beyond the latter, and well out of the way
> from anything else.
>
> Does all that sound reasonable? If so, I'll send a patch for U-Boot.

I always used to treat CONFIG_LOADADDR as the "recommended" load address
for the kernel, as did my colleagues.  But that was years ago in the
days of uImages and things have changed a lot since then.  So to be
perfectly honest, I don't know what the right path forward is.  I'd hate
to add more work to your plate, but maybe we should ask on the U-boot
mailing lists to see what folks there would recommend?  If you're busy
I'd be happy to send the initial query, just let me know.

Otherwise, I think you probably know U-boot better than I, so ultimately
I'm fine with your discretion.

- Paul