[v4, 1/9] ACPI / PM: Let acpi_dev_pm_detach() return an error code

Dmitry Torokhov dmitry.torokhov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:10:25 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 08:25:44PM +0200, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On 16 September 2014 01:36, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw at rjwysocki.net> wrote:

> The benefit is only relevant when ACPI and genpd PM domains would
> co-exist. In that case we might be able to skip genpd_dev_pm_detach()
> if acpi_dev_pm_detach() succeeds. So, currently there are  no benefit,
> but still it doesn't hurt.

It doe snot have any negative material effect, the drawback is purely
from API perspective.

> >> OK, so I have the very same comment about patch 3 then: we have
> >> dev_pm_domain_detach() returning error. How would the callers handle errors?
> >
> > Ulf?
>
> I see your point. How about making dev_pm_domain_detach() to be a void
> function instead?

Yes, please.

> >> WRT this patch: I'd rater we did not just return generic "error code" just
> >> because we do not know who manages PD for the device. Can we add API to check
> >> if we are using ACPI to manage power domains? Then patch #3 could check if it
> >> needs to use ACPI or generic power domain API.
>
> The problem is scalability. If we have other PM domains implementation
> in future, each of them need to be checked prior invoking the attach
> functions.
> Also, how would we distinguish between genpd and a new PM domain XYZ?

I do not think that trying all available methods to detach a pm domain,
i.e.

	err = acpi_dev_pm_detach();
	if (err)
		err = blah_dev_pm_detach();
	if (err)
		err = flab_dev_pm_detach();
	if (err)
		err = gen_dev_pm_detach();

is any better from scalability point of view. If you need to do that you
will probably have to store something like "struct pd_ops *pd_ops" in
your device and call appropriate implementation via it.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry