[v4, 1/9] ACPI / PM: Let acpi_dev_pm_detach() return an error code

Ulf Hansson ulf.hansson at linaro.org
Wed Sep 17 11:25:44 PDT 2014

On 16 September 2014 01:36, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw at rjwysocki.net> wrote:
> On Monday, September 15, 2014 09:53:59 AM Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

The benefit is only relevant when ACPI and genpd PM domains would
co-exist. In that case we might be able to skip genpd_dev_pm_detach()
if acpi_dev_pm_detach() succeeds. So, currently there are  no benefit,
but still it doesn't hurt.

>> > This is specifically for what patch [3/9] is doing AFAICS.
>> >
>> > The existing callers don't need to worry about this.
>>
>> OK, so I have the very same comment about patch 3 then: we have
>> dev_pm_domain_detach() returning error. How would the callers handle errors?
>
> Ulf?

I see your point. How about making dev_pm_domain_detach() to be a void
function instead?

>> WRT this patch: I'd rater we did not just return generic "error code" just
>> because we do not know who manages PD for the device. Can we add API to check
>> if we are using ACPI to manage power domains? Then patch #3 could check if it
>> needs to use ACPI or generic power domain API.

The problem is scalability. If we have other PM domains implementation
in future, each of them need to be checked prior invoking the attach
functions.
Also, how would we distinguish between genpd and a new PM domain XYZ?

Kind regards
Uffe