gcc 4.8.3 miscompiles drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fec_main.c ?!

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 05:32:20 PDT 2014

David Jander writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I am seeing a strange problem when building a recent kernel with gcc-4.8.3 for
 > armv7-a that contains the following patch:
 >
 > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit?id=bfd4ecdd87d350e19457fe0d02fa1e046774c44e
 >
 > Unfortunately I am not good enough at reading ARM assembly output from GCC to
 > understand whats going wrong, so I am asking for help.
 >
 > I started noticing ethernet packet loss on a i.MX6 board after upgrading the
 > kernel from 3.16-rc-something to latest mainline. The problem is very easy to
 > reproduce so I started git-bisecting. Git bisect gave me the above patch as
 > the culprit, and indeed: Without the patch a flood-ping goes fine (just one
 > dot on screen, no lost packets). I apply the patch and the dots start filling
 > the screen instantly.
 >
 > I am compiling the kernel using Pengutronix's OSELAS toolchain version
 > 2013.12.1, which is based on linaro gcc-4.8.3 without any relevant patches
 > AFAIK.

Linaro's toolchain is itself heavily modified compared to FSF gcc-4.8.3,
so first please try a pure vanilla FSF gcc-4.8.3, and then a likewise
vanilla gcc-4.9.1.  If those also cause the malfunction, then you have
proof for a bug in upstream gcc (or possibly undefined code in the kernel),
otherwise the bug is likely Linaro's.